Monday, March 10, 2014

MPDC 24.03 Pre-Game Show

Greetings loyal readers!  I finally have the opportunity to play in today's Monday Pauper Deck Challenge Standard Pauper tournament after over a month away from the game due to real life dilemmas.  Now I face another dilemma:

What the heck do I play??

Without any spare time to brew a list of my own, normally I'd choose whatever deck seemed most dominant in the metagame. But it's too early - with only two events' worth of data - there is no easy answer as to which deck is the best in the format.  So far, Bant Hexproof has won an event and a BUG-colored Defenders deck has taken the top spot, both times beating out a uniform White Weenie list.  Decisions, decisions, decisions...

If I were to just netdeck one of these three hoping to repeat their success, I'd probably go for DrChrisBakerDC's Defender Mill for purely sentimental reasons: the last deck I played in an event was a wacky five-colored defenders deck I threw together just for fun.  Dr. Baker has improved things substantially by putting a lot of thought into how such a deck can actually win, turning a quirky casual deck into what looks to be a true powerhouse in the format.



But wait! There are more deck lists to copy and paste thanks to Standard Deviations Standard Pauper Gauntlet contest.  I will not be able to resist brewing a deck at a later date to enter this unique and exciting event:



Or I could browse on over to an excellent article published today on the most important website for Magic: The Gathering articles, Star City Games, to find out What Standard Pauper Has To Offer care of well-known writer Jason Moore.  It's great to see Standard Pauper getting some hard-earned attention here!  Just the fact that so much good reading is available on this little format from such big names threatens to eat up all my deck-building time as well...

...anyway, I hope you are not having the same indecisive problem as I am having today.  I'll simply encourage you to play whatever deck you feel most comfortable with and gives you the greatest satisfaction when the "fun factor" is given highest priority.  That's how I will make my choice today and I'm actually thrilled to be able to face this kind of dilemma again.  It means I've finally come back to my favorite hobby: playing Standard Pauper on Magic Online with awesome commons and even more awesome friends.

See you in the Getting Serious room in about an hour!  Good luck to all and have some good games today.  Peace,

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment