Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Standard Pauper Card o' the Day: Akroan Crusader

It appears I've accidentally established a Red theme for my first week, even before my first weekly theme is figured out.  So let's make the Standard Pauper Card o' the Day another interesting Red selection.  This guy might end up being my new hero:




Now that is one unique and very flavorful card.  It's an A+ in design and a perfect five-out-of-five fit for all player psychographics.  Everybody's inner-Melvin and Vorthos can see the Spartan flavor everywhere.  Spikes should see a token-generator with card-advantage potential, Timmies are thinking about building around the Heroic mechanic for token swarms, Johnny's are trying to figure out how to trigger this 300 times in a single turn while screaming "This! Is! Pauper!"

He's also a big step in filling out Red's philosophical position in the color pie.  Would you believe Akroan Crusader is the first 1/1 Human Soldier for one Red mana at common in history?  I had trouble too, but what a debut!  See, he's also only the third common Red creature to see print that can produce one or more tokens.  His company is as illustrious as I believe he will soldier on to be.

This list of Red Token-making creatures is illustrative of a split between Standard and Classic and even the gap between Vintage in the paper world versus the MTGO realm. But they can wait on that for now, because they are now letting me do this!


All that said about our Card o' the Day and I've never even really tested him!  My red one-drop of choice so far has been Foundry Street Denizen, but I've been impressed with guy from the other side of the table, so it's time to log on and test out Akrosan Crusader.  Give him a shot, thanks for reading and until next time, GL & HF!  Peace,


- C


No comments:

Post a Comment