Saturday, November 30, 2013

Weekend Update: A Break To Break Things In

Just so I don't risk biting off more than I can chew, I think it's a good idea to work some breaks from blogging into the new blog schedule.  I'm pretty happy with the format that is evolving, the daily features and with getting back to writing regularly.  But even I need a day off and I've set some pretty high standards for this new endeavor.  Now that I've had some time to break this new blog in, it's time I took a break.  I'm usually a little bit busier on weekends anyway, and a rock show or two usually pops up each month on these party nights.

Therefore, on Saturdays or Sundays I will take a step back and simply publish a Weekend Update.  That should give the blogger some space so the blog does not become overwhelming.  As part of this, the Card o' the Day will be a weekday feature only to give me extra time off.  Time to think more about Pauper, read up on other writers, get future writing started in advance, and I almost forgot...

...time to actually play Standard Pauper instead of just writing about it!

Now that the format of the new blog and my return to writing for PureMTGO are all set after a pretty hardcore writing streak to jump-start me, the next few weeks should feature much more playing than writing.  It's about this time every week I start to think about Monday's upcoming Standard Pauper tournament, anyway.  This will likely be the topic of most Weekend Updates, but anything Pauper (and everything else I've been getting up to) is on the table.

As I wrote in my first Post-Tournament Post, I am still working on Boros Aggro.  Last week I tried to make greater use of the Battalion ability than is usual in Boros.  Since then, another Boros list, Gamelen's New Recruits, featuring token-making spells and the Populate keyword made the Top Eight. Discussion about the archetype has continued about the many paths Boros could follow to re-take the top spot.

Personally, I'm just hoping to make the cut, but I've been considering all the available options to get there.  Batallion is out and Populate has been tried before.  Both seem a little bit too reliant on achieving optimal-board states in order to work, so that leaves me wondering about simpler stand-alone abilities like Haste, Aura, and Burn.  I'm still not sure which one I will be going with, but both Red and White have some cool options I hope to surprise folks with on Monday.

Whatever I do choose, I'm sure to have good games and have fun.  Maybe this week I'll actually have some good luck!  I hope you do too.  Thanks for reading the Weekend Update. Peace,

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment