Friday, December 13, 2013

I Think It's Thursday...But It's Freakin' Friday!

Sorry about the missed post yesterday, folks.  I think I've got a good excuse: I was re-acquainting myself with the hosting process for running Standard Pauper tournaments on Magic Online!

And the SPDC 19.37 and Last Chance Qualifier event did fire and go off without a hitch.  I'm happy to report we had just enough players to make it a real tournament, there were no client or computer freezes on my end, and hosting has become kind of like riding a bike.  This bodes very well for the future of the SPDC series.

You can see how the tournament played out in the Gatherling Metagame Report.  Despite a low turnout, there are still interesting developments for the format we haven't seen in the MPDC series yet.  Blue-White Control has won for the first time during Theros-era Standard Pauper, thanks to GodZo's innovations and piloting with Azorius Fortress.

But DrChrisBakerDC's Izzet Razor-Burn put up a good fight in the finals after a strong performance all night.  I'll bet DrChris will have something to say about his build over at his Draft Brewery pauper blog...

Oooh, lookie here!  Read up on this awesome new archetype from the horse's mouth :-)

As for me, I can say I've been thinking about crafting a "bigger" Izzet strategy to face both Dimir Mill and Monoblack while still holding fast against the aggro strategies also gunning for those two.  Also, I'm looking for other ways to abuse the card in common to Mill and the new Azorius and Izzet builds: Archaeomancer!  Much more on her to come.  For now, though, I'm just glad the event went smoothly and I'm looking forward to hosting the next one.

Speaking of which, SPDC Season 19 Worlds will take place the next time I think it's Thursday.  Hopefully it's not freakin' Friday by the time the time that happens!  Seriously, though, I will keep players posted in the coming days as to the particulars of next Thursday's event.  As for now, I'm off to figure out how to craft a trophy for GodZo to commemorate this victory. Thanks for playing and following along.  Peace,

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment