Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Standard Pauper Carte du Jure: Gods Willing

I mentioned during the Post-Tournament Post that the MVP of my Aura Boros Aggro was without-a-doubt this one:




Gods Willing got me through my toughest match of the night, Round One against long-time Dimir Control player moromete.  This fellow always comes up with the meanest blue and black control decks every time the card pool shifts, and then has good sense to pilot them like the Red Baron.  I knew my deck would face the fiercest competition possible right off the bat and if I could make it past this, I was in good shape.  And his Esper list had even more options to destroy me.  But I had white, too.  I had Gods Willing!

In key moments in both games, this card solidified my path to victory more than any other. First it staved off an early Voyage's End, which meant I not only saved my guy but got to scry into more aggression instead of my opponent scry'ing for more answers.  Second, it invalidated a Grisly Spectacle when all he had to block my lone dude were other black creatures, allowing me to safely unload my pump and swing for twelve lethal points.  These were the most pivotal of several examples of Gods Willing consistently saving my butt all night.

This is why I saw early on that Gods Willing is the glue that really keeps an Aura-based Boros deck together.  Almost any Aura deck will want it and it has great applications as a surprising singleton in control.  I expect Gods Willing to remain one of the tricks to watch out for as long as Theros is in Standard.

That's the Card of the Day for this Tuesday.  There's more White cards and Boros Aggro to follow all week.  Thanks for reading, good luck & have fun!  Peace,

- C

2 comments:

  1. Carte du JOUR, lol, great review. The card will help you but sometimes trick you. Imagine a dude (awful one) with both Madcap skills and Ethereal Armor on it, targeted with Pacifism or Chandra's outrage (if less than 5 HP) by opponent , playing gods willing to protect it will be a problem. Minor but can happen. ;-)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah! You got me, joel, I cannot tell a lie. I was guilty of this mistake twice during the event. At least the one time I got a Crusader token out of it, but the second time I just blew myself out. I'm just not used to that long-time Magic mechanic because Auras haven't been a premium focus of the game in a long time :-)

      Delete