Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Standard Pauper Card of the Day: Fate Foretold

I'm not feeling particularly wacky this Wednesday. Instead, I'd like to mention an interesting Aura that caught my eye upon the release of Theros but hasn't really found a home until recently.




I discovered the power of this card alongside another important metagame piece while facing GodZo's Azorius Fortress deck at last weeks' Standard Pauper Deck Challenge.  When I first saw it spoiled, I was reminded of another two-mana enchantment that could conditionally draw two cards, Zendikar's Ior Ruin Expedition

That card never never really caught on back then, and I can see why.  Having to wait three land drops to draw your cards meant the inexpensive cost did not matter much.  I expected Fate Foretold to do no better.  But I now see this was big mistake in card evaluation on my part.  Ior Ruin was just an enchantment.  Fate Foretold is an Aura.  Auras are going to be dependent upon the power of their targets.  And Fate Foretold has the most perfect target possible, Keening Apparition.


Bonus!  It's written all over the combo when you can pull it off.  Drawing two cards while taking care of a threatening Aura or even killing one of the Bestow threats is fantastic, and my aura-abusing aggro deck could not keep up with the card advantage and combat versatility this pair could generate.  I see now that even in corner cases, the Apparition can draw the extra card as Fate Foretold itself provides a target for the sacrifice ability.  You can get your two cards automatically, and you'll get them when you blow up an Eidolon with two other auras attached after chump-blocking another threat.

Now I'm not a perfect enough Magic player to know what goes to the graveyard first, Keening Apparition or Fate Foretold (pretty sure it's the creature). But I'm positive you just got some cool value out of playing these two together.  Even in the worst case, Fate Foretold always cycles for two mana and with the heavy amount of removal around, it's kind of nice to at least get a card out of things when your dudes get killed.    Once again I'm glad a card that initially appeared a bit weak found some work.

Apparition even does work for us here!  You get a bonus Card of the Day, and I get to take a day off blogging to focus on hosting SPDC Season 19 Worlds on Magic Online at 8:30 PM Eastern tomorrow night.  I hope to see you there.  Peace,

- C

No comments:

Post a Comment